The Clerk of the Peace witnesses County documents; attends all formal Levy Court Meetings; records all acts as custodian for the Minutes of the Levy Court Meetings; advertises and posts County ordinances; countersigns warrants drawn on County funds. Issues marriage licenses; and performs marriage ceremonies.
(** Licenses are issued between the hours of 8:00am - 4:15pm M-F)
Applying for a Marriage License
Both parties must appear together Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
A translator is required if one of the parties does not speak English. The translator must have proper identification and must be at least 18 years of age.
• Residency/Waiting - Residents and non-residents must apply for a license 24 hours prior to the time of the ceremony.
• Validity - The Delaware license is only valid for 30 days from date of issue. The ceremony must be in the State of Delaware.
A valid DMV issued ID/Driver’s license, Passport, Military ID (Active Military Duty) is required. ID must include date of birth. Proof of address is required. To verify the authenticity of an applicant’s identification, the office of the Clerk of the Peace may also require additional documentation such as a birth certificate or social security card.
The current name on your valid identification will be the name used for your marriage license. You will be asked to provide your parent’s birth names, place of residency and birth so please have this information prior to applying.
• Divorced/Annulled/Widowed - All parties must produce an original or certified final decree of divorce/annulment or a certified death certificate. These will be returned at application. A certified translation must be presented with original or certified documents that are not in English. You will need to know the dates of your previous marriage and where it took place. If an applicant has been divorced or dissolved a legal partnership and taken back their former name, they must bring the original or certified copy of the name change court documents. No photocopies accepted.
• On Probation or Parole? An original letter of permission from the Probation Officer is required before a license will be issued.
• Minors - All applicants must be 18 years of age. Minors must petition Family Court for authorization to marry.
• License Fee - The cost of a Delaware Marriage License is $70 for residents/$120 non-residents (Cash Only). Additional fee for ceremonies performed by the Clerk of the Peace office is $50 for residents/$100 non-residents (Cash Only).
*Couples getting married in Kent County are encouraged to make certain that the person performing their wedding ceremony is authorized to do so.
Please allow 15-20 minutes for the marriage application process.
Apply for Marriage License Online
Order Certified Copies Online